If you are a New Jersey resident with a local library card, and you own a home computer, you can access HeritageQuest (its online history books and U.S. Census records) from home.
This is good news for genealogy researchers.
The New Jersey State Library is now making HeritageQuest available for FREE to all New Jersey residents with a library card.
For those not familiar with HeritageQuest, it is a service that provides historical books online (family histories, town histories, etc.) and also access to the United States Census records (1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 (partial)
Steps for access...
1) Have your library card handy.
2) Go to URL: http://www.jerseyclicks.org
3) Choose "Custom Search/Choose Your Database" (middle right of screen)
4) On the next screen, enter your library card bar code number to sign in.
5) The next page is the main menu of databases that are available to you.
Scroll to the Genealogy heading; click on "ProQuest HeritageQuest."
It will launch in a new browser window (tab).
It is all the way down and on the left side of the page.